Surprise Generosity is a unique way of training our children to have a heart of generosity.
GENEROSITY IN THE SCRIPTURES
- Deuteronomy 15:11 – “For the poor will never cease from the land; therefore I command you, saying, ‘You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land.’”
- Proverbs 19:17 – “He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given.”
- Ephesians 4:28 – “Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.”
- What is in our possession to steward is not just for us, but for those that have need! Look around and be that blessing!
- Philippians 2:4 – “Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.”
- LOOK out for the interest of OTHERS
- James 2:14-17 – “What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”
How it works:
- Step 1 – LOOK for opportunities in your church or community. Speak with your pastor to get suggestions of individuals/families in your church or community who are in need of either financial or service opportunities.
- Surprise Package – Meeting the needs of others either through tangible items or financial gifts. For a bigger impact, we recommend looking for opportunities around Thanksgiving to bless someone during the upcoming Christmas season.
- Surprise Service – Meeting the needs of others through using your time and talents. It could be a one-time service project or an ongoing gift of your time.
- Step 2 – PRAY for discernment, – Examine your resources and choose whom to bless.
- You could have money, time, or both! Use them to meet the needs of others.
- After prayer, each child in the family should decide who they choose to bless
- Decide how you want to surprise someone: Surprise Package, Surprise Service, or a Combination of Both!
- Helping neighbors with projects
- Financially supporting missionaries
- Serving on a mission trip
- Buying and making care packages for homeless
- Step 3 – ACT! – Surprise someone by being financially generous or serving!
- Surprise Package – Deliver a tangible or financial gift to the person(s) your child has chosen to bless. This can be done personally, anonymously, or through a third party (i.e. pastor, deacon, or friend). Be creative!
- Surprise Service – Surprise someone by offering to meet their needs which require your time and talents. Gather the materials needed and assemble your team to make it happen! Serving as a family can be an added blessing.
Recommendations and Guidelines:
- Surprise Generosity works best if each child chooses the individual or family they would like to bless (1 individual/family per child).
- You may also choose 1 family/individual together to bless as a family.
- This can be done any time of the year, but it has a significant impact during the Christmas season.
- Surprise Package works best when you keep it anonymous!
- Have your child be involved in EVERY step of this process. Let them own it and have fun!
CONCLUSION: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE FUTURE?
Prov. 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
How we raise our kids will not only impact our immediate family, but Lord willing, their family when they start one.
- Children learn to be selfless with their time, talents, and treasure.
- Children experience the joy of giving and serving others.
- Children learn to be more thankful for what they have.
- Reminds us that we are all recipients of generosity through the Grace of God.
Children and grandchildren will develop a lifestyle of Biblical stewardship that will:
- Guide their future families and finances.
- Strengthen the local church
- Impact the Kingdom to the glory of God.