Listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Buzzsprout, online, or search ‘The Stewardology Podcast’ in your favorite podcast app.
Join us as we talk about and expand on the 4 mistakes below!
1. Not getting help with your tax return – Self-prepared tax returns
- Work with a trusted tax professional.
- Even those who use tax software can run into trouble if they don’t understand the tax law.
- Manually prepared returns are the most unsafe way to file taxes.
2. Missing common tax savings opportunities
- Tax-free Roth conversions are possible for those with low income.
- Consider QCDs instead of RMDs in order to avoid taxes on your IRA distribution.
- Donate appreciated stock rather than giving cash to your local church. Be sure to provide your tax preparer with these details so that they are recorded accurately.
3. Going into debt (not planning ahead)
- Use a spending plan.
- Tell your money where to go.
- Every dollar has a name.
- Save for larger purchases (i.e., next car, vacation, Christmas, etc).
4. Take social security too early (if applicable)
- If possible, wait until full retirement age to protect your spouse.
- Every year you delay (age 62 to 70) your Social Security benefit increases by 8%.
- Surviving spouse gets the higher of the two SS benefits…so delaying is a loving action toward your spouse!
Material presented is property of The Stewardology Podcast, a ministry of Life Financial Group and Life Institute. You may not copy, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, or exploit any content without the expressed written permission of The Stewardology Podcast. For more information, contact us at Contact@StewardologyPodcast.com or (800) 688-5800.
The topics discussed in this podcast are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific investment advice or recommendations. Investing and investment strategies involve risk including the potential loss of principal. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
Securities and advisory services offered through GWM, Inc Member FINRA/SIPC